Thursday, October 30, 2008

BLOOPERS: What NOT TO DO when writing a Resume or Cover Letter...

I recently stumbled across a blog called, "Dumb stuff I read on resumes" started by a recruiter. He is a bit mean-spirited at times, but when reading some snippets of resumes/cover letters he's posted, it does lead one to say to themselves, "What were they thinking?"Here are a few examples of WHAT NOT TO DO OR WRITE ON YOUR RESUME:
"My hobbies include regular attendance at my local gym and swimming poo" (OK. ick.)
"I have developed a healthy work-life balance" (this from a fellow who had ONE part time job...)
"6/2007 - Present - Supermarket Sales Assistanti as a online shopper .our dept,its called grossory online.i m a shopper,n do all the work in absence of supervisour n manager.managing the dept well.i.e doing paper work,making sure tht we have enough shoppers n drivers 2 make sure the deliverys is on time,allocating vans to drivers n work to shoppers accordingly." (this is not a text message... need I say more?)
"Successfully handled money. Received money from customers.And successfully issued the correct amount of change back to the customers" (we get it. a bit redundant...)
--You may wonder why I request you to this at our behest and this is due an inner feeling in me which tells that you a woman who believes in human bondage, not to re-mention compassion and kindness. I am often told by others in the manifold spheres of my activities that there is a mystic in what I do." (ummm- ahem... errr... ok...a little too much info here.)
"For the past 3 months I have also been living at home with my brother as my parents have gone on holiday for 3 months as a retirement presents. I believe this experience has matured me as a person, as I have had to look after the house, shop and generally do a lot more tasks for myself. This has given me a new outlook on life and what I want to do with my life in the future." (Good boy... and this has to do what with the clerical position you are applying for??)
"wonder, I have no money, but again, although being "loaded" is commonly used as a measure of being successful, this does not apply to my view and it is not a true measure of "success". Personally I'd rather be a poor free man, rather that rich slave. Strangely it may seem, but I've noticed that what I am doing today, others do couple years after.Instead of being a follower I prefer to be a leader. I never fail to do what I believe is right and I don’t care what other people think about me. also easily bored so I prefer chaotic environment, no wonder admin is not quite my cup of tea.I guess I prefer to work with people that can inspire me, both creatively and spiritually (although I am not a religious person). (your cover letter is not a blog... it is meant to help you get a job...)
"interests and hobbies none at present" (huh? no interests or hobbies??)
"I have a wide variety of skills and experience, some of which I have taken for granted and cannot readily recall". (huh?? just put the pen down and walk away)
Well, I can go on and on here, but I think you get the drift. If you think you are adding too much personal information, then you probably are. Keep both the rez and cover letter about the job and you should do just fine.
Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment